With increasing demand for accessing information on the mobile phone, one of our customer wanted to use SMS Global’s service for receiving SMS. SMS Global comes up with a feature called “EMAIL‐2‐SMS”, which allows you to send email using the mobile number of the receipients and then their SMS Gateway takes care of sending the actual SMS.
How did we implement this in Adempiere?
Implementing integration with SMS global was one of the easiest thing to achieve. However, if you haven’t done it before then it does look like as if you will have to “INTEGRATE” two separate applications. There few basic things that you need to keep in mind
- You need to register the email address with SMS Global using which you intend to send email (e.g. email@example.com)
- In case “Email‐2‐SMS service” is turned off then you need to turn this feature on
- In case you want everyone using your domain to be able to send SMS then you may like to use wild card
- Setup one valid email id and password on the client window of Adempiere and use that email ID for sending emails
- Sending SMS
- Ensure that email address contains complete mobile number (including country code) and use domain as “email.smsglobal.com”. For example an email address will look like “firstname.lastname@example.org”.
i. In your application, if you don’t ask for ISD Code, then you need to append correct ISD code
ii. The email address must be specified in the TO field as SMS Global ignores email addresses in CC and BCC fields
iii. In case multiple recepients need to receive same SMS then you can include them in TO list by separating the email IDs using comma (,).
- In case you wish to send SMS to a group then you need to use GROUPKEY@groups.smsglobal.com, where GROUPKEY is the keyword given for your group.
- In case you retrieve the mobile number at run time using the context information, then use appropriate keyword processor.
- We defined SMSClient (“#SMSClientemail@example.com”) keyword to get the mobile number of client/customer at run time
- Message body
- It expect body of the SMS to be a plain text message
- A single SMS has the limitation of being 160 characters in length. In case your email body contains more than 160 characters then it will get truncated unless you have explicitly indicated about splitting the message large message into multiple message parts if it exceeds this limit. You can make use of MAXSPLIT parameter to define the maximum number of parts.
Following screen shows a sample email being sent using the SMS Global integration
As part of this article, I have given a quick overview on how to send SMS from Adempiere using SMS Global’s Email-2-SMS service. This is one of the easiest thing to achieve and this definitely enables you to keep all the stakeholders informed. Walking Tree is a leading provider of Adempiere based solution and in case you are looking for ERP implementation then please do contact us by visiting our Contact Us page.